Zaru Soba | chilled dipping soba
I’ve been on a real soba kick lately!! Which is funny bc if you’d asked me a year ago, soba would be p low on my stack-ranking of noodles. I’ve loved eating it with a light dashi broth, dressed in peanut sauce, and as cold dipping noodles! Zaru soba is so refreshing and I love playing with different ‘toppings’ for the sauce.
I used (for 1 bowl of Zaru Soba):
- 1 bundle of soba noodles
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp shiro dashi
- 1/4 cup water + a handful of ice cubes (or sub for 1/2 cup water)
- toppings (use all or none!): grated ginger, grated daikon, scallion, wasabi
- optional noodle garnish: sesame seeds, furikake
- cook noodles and rinse with cold/ice water
- prep noodle ‘toppings’, such as grated ginger, grated daikon, minced scallions, wasabi. grated ginger and/or daikon is a must for me as I think they’re particularly refreshing!
- mix together the sauce and adjust to taste
- sprinkle noodles with sesame seeds or furikake if desired
- add your choice of toppings into the sauce, dunk your noodles in + enjoy!