In elementary school, my friend’s mom would bring spam musubis to every potluck; they were the ooonnllyy thing I cared about. I remember being so bummed the one time she was away for work and didn’t bring them in lol. Nowadays, I know that I can easily make them myself!
- 1 can of reduced sodium spam
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- white rice (approx 2 cups)
- seaweed sheet
- mix together the sauce of soy sauce, brown sugar, and mirin
- slice spam into about ~8-10 sections, cut them into hearts if desired!
- heat up a little oil in a pan, over medium heat, and pan fry both sides until golden brown ~2 minutes
- add in the sauce and fry for about a minute per side, turn heat to medium-low if the sauce is caramelizing too quickly
- shape rice balls using your hands, or if making full musubis, use the spam tin to shape your rice (wet your hands to prevent sticking!)
- layer spam on top of the rice and wrap them in seaweed