7-Spice Slow-Cooker Braised Beef
This braised beef is perfect for assembling into baos or into scallion pancakes for beef rolls. It comes out of the slow cooker just ready to be pulled apart.
- ~1.25 pound beef shank, chuck roast would work to (you can also use a bigger piece of beef shank)
- 2 slices of ginger
- 2 scallions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 medium piece of rock sugar
- 7-spice mix: 3 star anise, 1 cassia cinnamon bark, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 4 cloves, 3 dried chilis broken in half, 1/4 tsp Sichuan peppercorn (~5 whole)
- Frozen or homemade baos, or scallion pancakes
- Hoisin sauce
- Julienned cucumbers
- Julienned scallions
- Red jalapenos
- Submerge the shank in a pot of water and a splash of Shaoxing wine. Boil for 10 minutes. Then rinse the shank of any impurities.
- Tie up your spices in a spice bag if you have one handy.
- In your @crockpot, add the beef, aromatics, sauces, and spices. Cover with water and braise on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. At this point your beef should just easily fall apart and shred.
- Assemble into baos or scallion pancake. Enjoy!
- Note: I strain the leftover braising liquid and save it to use it for noodle soup!